Athene Global offers attractive relative value in Secured Life Insurance sector
admin | September 11, 2020
This document is intended for institutional investors and is not subject to all of the independence and disclosure standards applicable to debt research reports prepared for retail investors.
Athene Global (ATH) ‘25s offer the most spread relative to the rest of the secured (A or better) life insurance cohort, and the ’25s represent the steepest part of the curve. Recent affirmations from a rating agency reflect the company’s improved competitive position in its core market, the stability of its financial profile and capital adequacy.
ATH 2.5% 01/14/25 @ +135/5-year; G+138; 1.615% yield; $103.69
Issuer: Athene Global Funding; Secured, FA-backed, GIC
Amount outstanding: $625 million
Secured rating: A/A
Parent senior rating: BBB+/BBB+
144A Private Placement
Exhibit 1. Life Insurance – senior secured (FA-backed/GIC), single-A or better ratings
- These notes are Guaranteed Investment Contract (GIC) backed, which are secured by a Funding Agreement (FA) that puts bondholders on equal footing with insurance policyholders. This is reflected in the A/A secured ratings, which are in-line with the senior Financial Strength Rating of the insurance operating companies.
- S&P recently affirmed ATH’s insurance financial strength ratings of the operating subsidiaries at A and the parent unsecured rating at BBB+, and assigned a Stable Outlook to the credit. The rating action reflects ATH’s improved competitive position in its core markets, stable financial profile and capital adequacy. The company recently announced an agreement to acquire $27 billion of fixed rate and fixed index annuity liabilities from Jackson Life via reinsurance. S&P views the deal as a positive to help enhance ATH’s scale and improve its competitive standing in the block acquisition/reinsurance business.
- ATH is a Bermuda-based life insurance company, and is among the national leaders in the fixed index annuity market. Over the past several years, the company has been diversifying operations and expanding its presence in flow reinsurance and pension risk transfer businesses. As of 2Q20, the Company had over $138 billion in total assets and $160 billion in total policy reserves. The company is 35% owned by Apollo Global Management (APO: A-/A), which lends a degree of implicit financial support, as well as some key strategic operating relationships.
- ATH has been active in the public debt markets in 2020. The company has conducted 6 debt launches in the USD public market since November of last year, plus a preferred launch back in June. The debt launches have been used to purchase funding agreements, and help term out its maturity profile and shore up its near-term liquidity. ATH has just under $3 billion in maturities over the next two years, with a $1.25 billion credit facility fully available through 2024.
- ATH is very well capitalized with AA capital adequacy ratings at the rating agencies. The Company had $1.7 billion in capital and surplus at the life insurance operating companies as of 2Q20. The statutory risk-based capital ratio was 864% as year-end 2019.
This material is intended only for institutional investors and does not carry all of the independence and disclosure standards of retail debt research reports. In the preparation of this material, the author may have consulted or otherwise discussed the matters referenced herein with one or more of SCM’s trading desks, any of which may have accumulated or otherwise taken a position, long or short, in any of the financial instruments discussed in or related to this material. Further, SCM may act as a market maker or principal dealer and may have proprietary interests that differ or conflict with the recipient hereof, in connection with any financial instrument discussed in or related to this material.
This message, including any attachments or links contained herein, is subject to important disclaimers, conditions, and disclosures regarding Electronic Communications, which you can find at https://portfolio-strategy.apsec.com/sancap-disclaimers-and-disclosures.
Copyright © 2023 Santander US Capital Markets LLC and its affiliates (“SCM”). All rights reserved. SCM is a member of FINRA and SIPC. This material is intended for limited distribution to institutions only and is not publicly available. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.
In making this material available, SCM (i) is not providing any advice to the recipient, including, without limitation, any advice as to investment, legal, accounting, tax and financial matters, (ii) is not acting as an advisor or fiduciary in respect of the recipient, (iii) is not making any predictions or projections and (iv) intends that any recipient to which SCM has provided this material is an “institutional investor” (as defined under applicable law and regulation, including FINRA Rule 4512 and that this material will not be disseminated, in whole or part, to any third party by the recipient.
The author of this material is an economist, desk strategist or trader. In the preparation of this material, the author may have consulted or otherwise discussed the matters referenced herein with one or more of SCM’s trading desks, any of which may have accumulated or otherwise taken a position, long or short, in any of the financial instruments discussed in or related to this material. Further, SCM or any of its affiliates may act as a market maker or principal dealer and may have proprietary interests that differ or conflict with the recipient hereof, in connection with any financial instrument discussed in or related to this material.
This material (i) has been prepared for information purposes only and does not constitute a solicitation or an offer to buy or sell any securities, related investments or other financial instruments, (ii) is neither research, a “research report” as commonly understood under the securities laws and regulations promulgated thereunder nor the product of a research department, (iii) or parts thereof may have been obtained from various sources, the reliability of which has not been verified and cannot be guaranteed by SCM, (iv) should not be reproduced or disclosed to any other person, without SCM’s prior consent and (v) is not intended for distribution in any jurisdiction in which its distribution would be prohibited.
In connection with this material, SCM (i) makes no representation or warranties as to the appropriateness or reliance for use in any transaction or as to the permissibility or legality of any financial instrument in any jurisdiction, (ii) believes the information in this material to be reliable, has not independently verified such information and makes no representation, express or implied, with regard to the accuracy or completeness of such information, (iii) accepts no responsibility or liability as to any reliance placed, or investment decision made, on the basis of such information by the recipient and (iv) does not undertake, and disclaims any duty to undertake, to update or to revise the information contained in this material.
Unless otherwise stated, the views, opinions, forecasts, valuations, or estimates contained in this material are those solely of the author, as of the date of publication of this material, and are subject to change without notice. The recipient of this material should make an independent evaluation of this information and make such other investigations as the recipient considers necessary (including obtaining independent financial advice), before transacting in any financial market or instrument discussed in or related to this material.